Friday, July 23, 2010

Beyer Clock Museum






I'll start with my signature clock-and that of my sibs and even some cousins on my mother's side.


Marcia and I were at the English bookstore on Bahnhof Str. looking for some guidebooks about Zurich. I just happened to open to a page that suggested the clock museum in the basement of the Beyer clock and watch jewelry store just down the street, so I opted for it and wasn't sorry. The next series of blogs will be full of clocks.


I had just given my backpack to the lady in charge at about 5 of 14:00, so I asked if I should be prepared for cacophony in 5 minutes. She assured me that they were not wound and then proceeded to show me one of the loudest-I'll show you too. It has quite a few bells on it's top and it was in a farmhouse, so it probably called the family and farmhands in for meals.
She was quite informative and I enjoyed our chat. She steered me to the Beyer collection, a sort of family history through timepieces. I'll show you that too.
KG

No comments: