Saturday, September 5, 2009

Dublin-Grafton Street

Even with tonnes of tourist schlock, Grafton Street has some charm-more charm at 10am than later in the day or night, if you ask me.
I started my walk at St Stephen's Green (which you will see soon). This mall is at the northwest end of the green. I even liked it inside.
Here is Molly Malone. This statue was put up by the town fathers and blessed by the bishop, something which appeals to the Irish sense of irony, as Molly, in her time, was not so much known as a peddler of seafood, but of herself. Hence the locals call her, The Tart With the Cart.
Afternoon view of Tart w/ Cart from tourbus.
Not so far from Molly is Temple Street where I took this tropical photo. Temple Street gets a bit like Bourbon Street in New Orleans from late afternoon to wee hours of the morning. I prefer 10 am when the delivery trucks are the only obstacles.
And, at the end of the O'Connell Bridge on the North side of the Liffey is this statue to O'Connell. Our tour guides make fun of the lauditudes on his statue, as he was a well known philanderer with plenty of illegitimate offspring to prove it.
KG

No comments: