Tuesday, September 21, 2010

All Hallows Barking by the Tower

On this day I was in pursuit of the ancestors. This church is the most likely candidate for that of Anthony Bassano, a Griffin ancestor via the Hagood/Lanier line. I have already blogged about him and his musical family, so I won't repeat. After looking around this church right next to the Tower of London, I met a member of it's staff who advised me that the Victorians had dug up all the graves around this church and moved them and not always taken care to mark them properly.

I have heard that Jocimo Bassano, brother or uncle to our Anthony is buried in a church north of London. Perhaps I'll get there next year.

Anyway, this is a lovely little church.





Descending into the crypt.









William Penn was married here, so American DAR's have interest in this church.





Roman Road went through here before there was a church.





Two little chapels in the crypt.




KG

No comments: