Tuesday, July 3, 2007

To Market, To Market


We'll have a little tour of the market area. There has been a market here since there was a Venice-perhaps longer than Americans can comprehend. I was on the vaporetto early on Saturday morning and planning to stay on till the last stop on the Doge Palace side and walk my way back. However, when I saw the market, I had to get off and check it out. The produce was bright and fresh and looked to me like any farmer's market I have ever been to. The fish caught my eye. They were not like any fish market I have ever been to.
Just beyond the market I found this charming little bridge, and when I turned around, I saw this door. I've zoomed in on the inscription on the door, but haven't been able to read it. The first word looks like Pisces, which would certainly make sense in the fish market.

KG

No comments: